Skip to main content

How I Got a Job with Capcom...(Not me, this guy!)

Brian as Shredder, I think I had this dream in grade 7.
Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil... These were my adventures growing up. Legendary developer Capcom has been making games since Atari, I even remember playing original Street Fighter on my Commodor 64. Recently, I was on a trip to Mexico and met the man of my dreams... well... sort of. His name was Brian... and he works for Capcom (I swear, I read his name on Dead Rising 2!). He was cool enough to share some insight on how he got every boy's dream job... including mine...
 >>Interview after the jump. 


(Photo Credit levelselect.co.uk)
Growing up, Capcom was THE company that made the best games, in my opinion.  So when I met Brian, I  chatted his ears off over all you can drink drinks about how "Mega Man music is still the best NES soundtrack". A fellow Y2K survivor, Brian grew up in our era. He was into cartoons like G.I. Joe and Transformers (clearly our type of guy)... and like us, he played a lot of video games growing up, only he was able to make a career out of it. According to sources, he's a master Tekken player and can't be beat. I wanted to find out for myself, so I conducted a sit down interview with the man himself (I am assuming he was sitting when he e-mailed me back =P) about who he is, and what he does. 
Brian as Destro, regular office attire.

TD - What do you do?
BRIAN - I am currently a Designer at Capcom Game Studios Vancouver. My expertise is content creation and mission design, but being a designer means you have to wear a lot of hats. Some days you’ll be working with animations and AI, others will be working on interaction matrices. A good designer is versatile enough to fill in holes when they present themselves.

TD - What have you worked on? 
BRIAN - My first design credit came on Dead Rising 2, followed by Dead Rising 2: Off The Record. I’ve had my hands in the downloadable DR2 games as well, and prior to that I was a tester for a few baseball games at Blue Castle, and several games at EA Canada (a few of my favorites were SSX3, Def Jam: Fight For New York, and NHL 06).

TD - How did you get a job w/ Capcom?
BRIAN - I always wanted to get into gaming as a career. Since my brother’s NES and my first Gameboy, I knew this is what I wanted to do. I went to Video Game design school in Winnipeg, but found that that didn’t really help much. The course was in its infancy, and no one recognized it. I moved to Vancouver shortly after, and applied a couple times at EA as a Tester. I was picked for the SSX3 team, and worked as a tester on several games there. After several years testing games, I was moved to a tester position on the web development at EA. I lost my drive at then, web development wasn’t really my thing, so I typed up my resume and sent it out to other companies. Blue Castle liked all the experience I gathered at EA and decided to give me a shot. I was lucky to get in at Blue Castle as a Senior Tester, and worked my way up through the company. I was already a designer when Capcom made the purchase and turned us into Capcom Game Studio Vancouver. Working at Capcom is a dream come true. Their games essentially molded my childhood.

TD - What game are you playing currently?
BRIAN - Saints Row: The Third – This is everything I wished GTA was.
No More Heroes HD – The quirky nostalgic gameplay brings me back to my childhood, with the addition of over the top violence.
And I’m looking forward to the latest installment of SSX.

TD - Top 5 Video Games ever?
BRIAN - Mega Man series – Great, challenging games. The story is hit and miss at times, but the gameplay is always top notch and I love stealing abilities from Robot Masters.

Tekken 2 or Tekken Tag – The depth of this fighting game really spoke to me. The Left/Right, Punch/Kick system allowed me to experiment, and really made me feel like I was mastering something. Something in the later versions didn’t feel as smooth. Some of the combos and combinations stopped making sense in terms of the Left/Right system, and it also stopped feeling as responsive.


Wrecking Crew – An old school NES classic. The game itself is amazing, and I still play it today, but this was also the first level editor that grabbed hold of me.


Metal Gear Solid – Great cinematic/immersive feel to a game. When I first felt the dual shock respond to the DARPA Chief’s heartbeat, I was hooked.


Dead Rising 2 – For Shameless Plug reasons 

>thanks Brian... Happy Thrifting.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wonders of emulation... SNES in HD and perfection.

A classic... in standard def =( So you connected your old pre-HD Super Nintendo system to your nice HDTV. Only to find out it looks like crap. Well no fear. You can play these classics on your computer. Today we will look at the emulator bSNES.

100% Complete Nintendo Power Get WIth it Kit

Friend of the show Eli, graced our channel by unboxing a factory sealed Nintendo Power Get With It Kit so that everyone can know for sure what a 100% Complete in Box kit should include! (Reference pictures after the jump!)

Pickups 08.22.2020

Nintendo Wii Motion Plus for $3.99 found at Value Village. I don't know if it was a screw up from an employee as the Motion Plus attachment was in the rubber sleeve. It may have been overlooked when they put it out on the floor. Nintendo did release Motion Plus controllers, only time will tell if the attachments are sought out for in the future.