Skip to main content

Game Boy Color = Best Leap Day Ever!

It's what's cookin' for dinner!
This was a nice way to end Leap Day Feb 29 2012. A "last of the month" trip to the thrift uncovered a SWEET Game Boy Color in box. Finally, something to play my SEALED Super Mario World 2 I found last year (too bad I will never open it!). Little did I know it wouldn't end there, as I found 2 more games hidden inside...


Game Boy Color Atomic Purple/grape - $6.99 (30%off day)

History
Released in 1998, Game Boy Color (GBC) was the follow up to the Game Boy Pocket. It offered full colored hand held gaming, a step up from the monochromatic Gameboy. It was no secret, this was meant to be a short run system. Since it's release, Nintendo was already announcing the TRUE Game Boy predecessor, the Game Boy Advance slated for release in 2001. Still, since this was backwards compatible, GBC had a large established library to choose from, and more fun for me!




Impressions
This is my only GBC in box. I love the hologram and design, it design screams "I'm from 1999" (It also makes any GBC game, serious or not, look like it was drawn with crayon). I was never able to get this system back in the day, so I was happy to find this one, in the box none the less. Also, the 2 games that came hidden with the GBC was the icing on the pizza... Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Red. I always hated these games, then and now, but still, I am a happy turtle. My mind is running with all the games I can play...

Pokemon Blue (GB) Screen Shot.
Yah, you'll really need imagination to play this game.

WWF Betrayal (GBC) Screen Shot.
Now this is my type of game. Stone Cold stompin' a mud hole in the Rock.

Metal Gear Solid (GBC) Screen Shot
I didn't even know this existed.
Metal Gear Solid (GBC) Screen Shot 2

Value
A quick ebay search turns up around 40 Purple Game Boy Colors from $25 - $35 alone. The ones with box range from $50 - 100, but everything is relative. I don't want to sell this right now anyways. Pokemon Blue and Red have sold retail in the city for around $15 - $20. I may give it a try, but doubtful these games will be finished by me. Thanks for reading, I made a quick "wanted" game list on the exit, check it out. (P.S. if you want to trade my Pokemon games for any of the following "wanted" games, we could work it out!)

WANTED LIST
brought to you by Ganesradar.com
I'm going to go hunting for some games now. Until next time, Happy Thrifting.

A Nintendo classic remade. 
Metal Gear is such a serious game, but looks comical on the GBC cover
A new (for me) Zelda adventure to be had.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wonders of emulation... SNES in HD and perfection.

A classic... in standard def =( So you connected your old pre-HD Super Nintendo system to your nice HDTV. Only to find out it looks like crap. Well no fear. You can play these classics on your computer. Today we will look at the emulator bSNES.

100% Complete Nintendo Power Get WIth it Kit

Friend of the show Eli, graced our channel by unboxing a factory sealed Nintendo Power Get With It Kit so that everyone can know for sure what a 100% Complete in Box kit should include! (Reference pictures after the jump!)

Pickups 08.22.2020

Nintendo Wii Motion Plus for $3.99 found at Value Village. I don't know if it was a screw up from an employee as the Motion Plus attachment was in the rubber sleeve. It may have been overlooked when they put it out on the floor. Nintendo did release Motion Plus controllers, only time will tell if the attachments are sought out for in the future.